Monday, July 30, 2012

The Unforgettable 3D2N Stay..

10th July 2012



It has been two days since the last Fadzil contacted us. In the last conversation, he did mentioned that he was unwell. As a wife, of course I was worried, especially when he did not returned any messages or facetime call. His phone was switched off too...That midnight, I decided to call the hotel he stayed in for the past 3 weeks and to my surprised, they told me that he already checked out! It made me even more worried that I hardly slept that nite.


As a result, I was very sleepy the following morning. Woke up at 8am in the morning to switch off the alarm and I went back to sleep. Faaz was awake too, and surprisingly he too went back to sleep with me. When I finally woke up at 10am, Faaz was still asleep. He woke up as I was about to leave to work...


"Mommy, can you carry me downstairs?" He asked.
"Why Faaz cannot walk?" I asked him...
"Faaz stomach pain, Faaz cannot walk.." He replied.


Weird...I told myself. He was trying to get my attention, perhaps? I came to him and when I was about to carry him I can feel his body was feverish. Very warm indeed that it made me worried. I carried him downstairs and told my MIL. Being an ex-nurse, when Faaz showed her the pain on his lower abdomen she told me to bring Faaz to see his Paed ASAP. The pain Faaz pointed was directly to his appendic. Gulp! :(




Quickly we went to see the Pediatrician; Dr. Deng in USJ21. Faaz was given a jab due to his high fever (his temp gone up to 39.8deg). After a short examination, Dr. Deng suggested that we bring Faaz to the hospital as the pain that he claimed came from the same spot, his appendic. He suspected Faaz had acute appendic. I was devastated to hear that but still taking it as a +ve thing while praying in my heart. We went straight to Sime Darby Medical Centre (SDMC)...


The referral letter..




Due to road work in USJ plus the heavy traffic, we missed to see the Pediatrician Surgeon; Dr. Ahmad Zulkifli since he already left for lunch. We had to go to the South Tower instead, to the Emergency Ward. Faaz was examined there, and while waiting to get admitted, Dr. Zul came to examine him.



My poor lil boy. Feverish and in pain :(

After a short examine, Dr. Zul said there's a possibility that it was not appendic because based on history, Faaz has a problem with constipation. To further confirm, they had to to ultrasound, x-ray and take blood sample & urine for study. For this, Faaz need to be admitted. I felt sad that my son was in pain and my hubby has yet to be contacted. Immediate family been pushing me to try to get in touch with Fadzil while I had to settle the admission to the ward. Tell you it was very stressful to handle everything alone but I took it as a +ve thing; a test for me from Allah so that I become more independent and strong.


The thing about my son Faaz, he seldomly cry since he was a baby. I am not bragging but this is an actual fact, this boy of mine is gifted with strength to endure pain. I still remembered, the most he will cry when he was a baby was only about a minute. He never cried whenever he got his jabs, or when they insert the needle for drip. He show his pain through facial expression; from the frowning, reddish face and tears bergenang on his eyes. Heart wrenching I tell you... :'( 


Faaz after changing to hospital's attire. 
This was his first time being admitted in his life and he hated it.


Enduring the pain while waiting for the room to be ready
:'(

Finally, we've got the room at 3pm. After settling down, I made few phone calls, to home firstly to check on my twins hoping they were all fine staying with the helper alone. Next, I tried to text Fadzil's boss asking his favor to help us get in touch with him. He too, failed to contact as Fadzil's cellphone was off . Although he was away for vacation, he did helped to send out an office email to my hubby hoping he would read it in case he checked his office mail. He too, smsed me from time to time to show his concern of Faaz. How nice of him.


I was even more worried when Dr. Zul told us, if it's positive appendic, Faaz need to be operated straight away. I was praying hard that Fadzil will contact us that day. I wanted him to know about Faaz, I wanted him to agree for the operation if it's needed. :(

Alhamdulilah, Allah listen to my prayers. I received an email from Fadzil that evening, telling me he was asked to go to Stavanger, a town outside Olso suddenly on Monday morning by the project people. Since it was a sudden arrangement, he had to rush and forgot to inform me. While travelling there, he lost his iPhone charger (which explained why his phone was switched off). He told me that the current hotel has limited internet connection that he sent the email from the internet room. He told me that he will get in touch with me soon and asked me to take care. I knew that he did not yet read the latest email that I sent to him because he did not mentioned anything about Faaz. I replied the email instantly but I think it was too late that he had left for work. Apepun I was glad to hear from him, knowing he was safe. All I have to do that time was to wait patiently for him to contact me.



With the possibility of undergoing an operation, and due to the procedures he need to undergo the very next morning, Faaz was asked to fast. Firstly, he was put on fluid diet only for few hours before proceed to fasting. It was one of the trickiest part, since Faaz has no clue on what is "fasting" and he did not understand why he can't eat, or drink. He kept on telling me, 

"Mommy, Faaz hungry.."
"Mommy, Faaz wants to eat sausage and eat chocolate cake"
"Mommy, can I have my night susu?"

It was hard, it was so hard to say, "NO" to him...but I have to. Only God knows how sad I was but I had to act normally... :'(

Lucky when I went back home short while that evening to pack while my in laws taking care of him at the hospital, I managed to packed Faaz's favourite toys, copied some of his favourite cartoon/series and brought the laptop as well. The least I can do was to entertain him to make him forget about his hunger..


First nite in the hospital, watching Thundercats from the laptop..

During his nite visit, Dr. Zul told me he suspected the pain came from clogging  that caused swelling on his lower abdomen, hence caused  the pain. What he did was put Faaz on anema to clear up the clogging. But it took Faaz the second dose of anema before he can finally BO, and it was a painful moment because he was struggling to BO, tahan sakit sampai menggigil ok. Kesian sgt that I have to hold him tight :( However, I was glad, and I was hoping the clogging issue was settled...

(Note: Don't get me wrong, Faaz did BO like everyone else, but not everyday. Sometimes once a day, sometimes twice a day. The stool came out hard each time, and it did not came out entirely. That has causing the clogging issue..).

11th July 2012.


The very next morning, Faaz was sent to do the x-ray, ultrasound and they took his blood samples. The nurses praise him because of his braveness, telling me that most children of his age will be crying to be left alone with nurses.. 


While waiting for ultra-sound..

We were transported back to the room after the procedures. After taking the urine samples, Faaz was put to rest. He had then allowed to have liquid diet. I made him his milk, and he look much better after having it. Even the pain has lessen since he BO last night. Alhamdulillah. I really hope the test result shown -ve for appendic. All we need to do was to wait for the results...


He can now smile..alhamdulillah :)

By that noon, I received another email from Fadzil, he was shocked and sad, apologizing me for not able to be there with us. He said he will get the replacement charger, take a half day leave (impossible to get in touch at the project area) and will contact us ASAP. Another good news, alhamdulillah...


The results were out that evening. Dr. Zul inform me that it was quite tricky since they can't see the appendic from the ultrasound/x-ray since it's too small but since Faaz had passed motion, the swelling has reduced a bit. He told me that they will give another set of anema to clean his bowel and if there's no more lump/swelling then they will remove the possibility of appendic surgery. However, if it's the other way round they have no choice but to operate him. Just as the Dr. left, Fadzil called us via facetime. Alhamdulillah, he managed to see/talk with Faaz and we managed to explain the real situation with him..lega sket rasa.


Due to possibility of the operation, Faaz was asked to fast again from 4am onwards. Lucky Faaz, he was allowed to finally have a meal from 8pm-12am, and was on liquid diet between 12am-4am before fasting. Ape lagi, berdesup the grandparents went down to get what Faaz been craving for...finally he got the sausages from 1901, what he has been craving since day 1. :)



That night was our second nite at the hospital. I really wished it was our last night there. As much as I wanted Faaz to be free from being operate, free from pain, I also missed my babies at home. I tried to facetime with them but it did not work, Faiqa and Falisya cried when they saw me, not as happy as they were when they were facetiming with their daddy. They missed me a lot, and same with me. Sad to hear Faiqa, my food lover baby lost her appetite in eating and drinking milk. :(

Close family who visited asked me how I can remain calm and strong, handling the situation alone. I told them, anyone in my shoes will be the same as me, a mother gotta do what she has to do..right? But my main strength came from Faaz. I did not cried on the outside because my son did not cried at all when in fact he was in deep pain...I was brave because my son is one brave boy...I got the strength because he is one strong boy. I am thankful for this dear Allah!



Love keeps us both stronger!

12th July 2012

Faaz was more active that morning, and he constantly told me the pain has gone. Alhamdulillah, I was glad to hear that. I was optimistic that after he passed motion that last night, the swelling has gone. I can see it from Faaz...he was cheerful, and hyper, contrary from the first day he was admitted. 


Busy playing with his toy while waiting for the Dr. to visit.
He didn't bother his drip at all, dah lompat2, baring pun tunggang terbalik. Habis wire berselirat. I was the one who worried, takut drip tu tertanggal je :P

Alhamdulillah, during his noon visit, Dr. Zul has confirmed that the swelling has gone that Faaz was good to be discharged. It was totally not appendic, and no operation was needed *legaaaaaa*. However, he still need to investigate the root cause of Faaz's health problem. We had to meet him again a week after discharge to discuss further and to see Faaz's progress. In the meantime, Faaz was put on medication and change in his daily diet. Everybody was relieved to hear the news, especially Faaz who was obviously bored on day 3. It was just nice, we broke the news to Fadzil as he was about to depart back home to Malaysia from Norway... :)


So far, this was the biggest test Allah had tested me when my husband was away. Alhamdulillah, I managed to go through it although at times I almost burst to tears..hihi. I am so lucky that close family, Fadzil's aunts, cousins and niece were there for me, (came to visit and cheered Faaz up, help to take care of my twinnies, and not to forget giving me the support emotionally especially) thank you, hanya Allah yang mampu membalasnya.

Last but not least thanks to dear friends who came to know through instagram (since I posted some of Faaz's photos there), your prayers and encouragements were deeply appreciated. Mucho gracias! <3!



11 comments:

Ninie Hanis said...

Alhamdulillah..glad to know that Faaz is ok now.He was truly brave.memang situasi yg sgt cemas.but glad all your families were there for u. :)

Shah Sulong said...

alhamdulillah.. get well soon Faaz!

dyana "his other half" said...

i'm so sorry dear that I dont know about Faaz. padahal dekat je sjmc tu. Me and sha was on YM last week and we did talked about you. pasal lama tak tau ur update :). and now we know why.

alhamdulilah semua ok for faaz. i agree with u that faaz is definitely 1 strong boy. kuat betul semangat dia.

so, dah buat next appointment ke? will be waiting for your update.

Diyana Didie said...

alhamdullilah. semua dah ok. glad abam faaz sgt strong! bergenang air mata me baca. teringat masa berpantang me constipation jugak. masa tu saketnya mcm nak putus nyawa. ;( apa pon, harap abam faaz terus sihat dan sembuh dah lepas nie. and bravo to mommy too. sgt strong hadapi dugaan.

maleen said...

Hi Nadine,

Sorry to hear on what had happened to Faaz but glad that he is okay now. And a very big applaud to him coz he is such a brave boy! So what was the root cause? Does he also has consipation problem? Picky eater ke? My daughter, Yasmin, of Faaz age is always constipated. Her paed Dr Sanjay (also in SJMC) mmg subscribed Duphalac, a kind of lactose. Not for kids but also adult. Mmg everday about 10ml dose we put in her milk (sbb sussahhhhh nak mkn ubat). It will soften the stools. So far ok la but mmg if nak BO time consipated mmg kesian sgt tgk. Doc said if consipated, it will affect their appetite too. Also, if selalu consipated it might scare them to BO sbb sakit.

I hope Faaz has fully recovered. I cannot imagine if my girl yg kena coz she cries for everything!! :P

| SUE | said...

Aduh penuh debaran i baca entry u kali ni. Serious kejap berkerut, kejap macam lega, kejap rasa nak nanges... perghhh both of u mmg strong! Alhamdulillah.. get well soon faaz!

Mimy Hamid said...

berdebar nya i baca...sangat dugaan la berjauhan ngan suami then anak sakit pulak...kalau la i di tempatu sure panik...u mmg strong bebeh...take care my dear...Alhamdulilah abg Faaz dah siha :))

airin diana said...

Nad, im sorry to hear bout Faaz. and how strong you were! Alhamdulillah no operation for Faaz. so kesian when he asked to eat this and that.. hopefully everything went well for all of you.
Hanie also just discharged from SDMC last week. a 6days 5 nights stay. also a nightmare for me. but im lucky to have my husband. i cant imagine if i were in your shoes. mana nak arrange those twins, nak settle barang2 for Faaz...you're strong, girl!

mommaholicSURI said...

Oh dear Faaz, alhamdulillah Faaz dah sihat and well done handsome for being such a brave boy. Aunty doakan Faaz lepas ni sihat2 selalu k.

Nadine, Alhamdulillah, syukur. Even the most important man in your life was far away, you had a very strong support system. As a mom i know how you feel and i'm so glad that you handled it very calm dear. I am sure everyone in your family so proud of you handling the situation very well.

Take care darlings :)

ishamizu said...

Salam Nadia

Ya Allah, kesian Faaz, sayu hati baca citer Nadia ni..dah la daddy nya jauh beribu batu..kene admitted plak si kecik ni. Mujurla dia kuat, tak menangis..he's indeed a mommy's strength source!! Alhamdulillah just a clogging issue, ketidak kesian dia kecik2 kene operate.

Nway, mmg salute la kt nadia..u handled this situation very calm and successfully. You're so strong n supermommy! :)

Kiss to Faaz k. Take care all of you there..

mommyNadia said...

Hopefully Faaz dah ok sekarang babe.
Seriously, I really salute u can survive at that moment without Fadzil around. And with great support from all family members too kan.

Hope everything well now. Take care babe =)