Tuesday, February 26, 2013

RTO CNY Dinner

Yesterday, I attended my department - Radio Tuning & Optimization (RTO) Chinese New Year Dinner after our first quarter meeting in 2013. The dinner was held in a seafood restaurant in Subang Jaya, (how convenient since it's just 7 minutes away from USJ!)



The view from the restaurant, facing the lake. Nice!

Actually, I never explore section 12 Subang Jaya, except for these three places; SDMC, Grand Dorsett Hotel & Holiday Villa Subang. I never knew the existence of The Lake View Club or Subang Ria Recreational Park. Siap ada tempat main paintball lagi. Ketinggalan sungguh lah T_T.


Since it's a post-CNY dinner (told by the Big Boss that yesterday was 1 day after the 15th day of Chinese calender - which means the CNY celebration has ended), we started off our dinner with the famous cuisine - the Yee Sang or the Prosperity Toss :)



The waitress preparing the Yee Sang. 
Spotted raw salmon, nyums!

Usually, besides the raw salmon, the main ingredients of Yee Sang includes daikon (white radish), carrots, red pepper (capsicum), turnips, red pickled ginger, sun-dried oranges, key lime leaves, Chinese parsley, chilli, jellyfish, chopped peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, Chinese shrimp crackers (or fried dried shrimp), five spice powder and other ingredients, laced with a sauce using plum sauce, rice vinegar, kumquat paste and sesame oil, for a total of 27 ingredients. 


As soon as the Yee Sang was ready, all of us at the table stand up and on cue, proceed to toss the shredded ingredients into the air with chopsticks while saying various "auspicious wishes" out loud. It is believed that the height of the toss reflects the height of the diner's growth in fortunes, thus diners are expected to toss it enthusiastically.


Part of my team doing the tossing while I capture the moment...hihi :)


As usual, during any formal dinner 8 main course set were served. Among them all, usually there will be this one menu that I look forward to...none other than the shark fin's soup. It's my favourite since the first time I get to taste it when I first started working. No wonder one of my bestie in Uni years been talking about it a lot and tak henti2 recommend..taulah awak tu ada Chinese blood :P Each time I had the soup, I will remember his words and of course his trademark smile :P hehe, saya ingat sampai skang lah awak :P



And my favourite Chinese dessert?? None other than the crunchy Red Bean Paste Pancake which was introduced to me by Mr. Schweetheart a.k.a my hubby and family. Favourite en. suami and MIL saya :). Lucky me, it was served during this dinner...and super lucky that it came at the very last part that everyone who attended the dinner didn't have a room for a dessert anymore! (the servings for each food was very huge!). So happily I told the waitress to pack the pancakes and brought back home. Mama and Fadzil were happy to eat them! hihi :)


My red bean paste pancake...nyums!

This year is the Year of Snake; to be specific, the Year of the black snake. According to the Chinese horoscope, the Snake is the sixth sign of the Chinese Zodiac, which consists of 12 Animal Signs. It is the enigmatic, intuitive, introspective, refined and collected of the Animals Signs. Ancient Chinese wisdom says a Snake in the house is a good omen because it means that your family will not starve. (source here)


I know it's kinda late but still I want to wish my Chinese friends and readers - Happy CNY, Gong Xi! Gong Xi! :D

Love,



2 comments:

dyana "his other half" said...

shark fin's soup was my families favourite also before :). sangat2 sedap kan? sorang boleh makan 3 mangkuk sekaligus. But when Im married to an environmentalist, kitaorg dah stop. huhu. Kesian tengok sharks tu. Camana pun tiap kali cakap pasal shark fin's soup memang meleleh air liur kami berlima kecuali enchek fariq cepat2 change the topic. hahaha.

Cd pun suka red bean paste pancake tu. Kalau yang ada lotus seed tu lagi best. Yummy! Terbayang2 pula. huhu.

Nadine said...

Erk! alamak...
rasanya kalau tau how they obtained the shark's fin mmg tak sanggup nak makan kot. nasib tak..heeeee :P

we are very fortunate to have multiracial in this country. Mcm2 makanan sedap dapat kita rasa! :)