Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recipe: Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting



Few days before Eid, my MIL asked me what dessert will I prepare for Eid this year. To be honest, I did not have anything in my mind. I was kind of lazy too, because during that time, I was just engaged in a project that requires a lot of preparations before I left for Eid holiday.


Tapi bila mertua dah tanya tu, segan jugak kalau tak buat at least satu...I asked my husband if he has anything to suggest and he suggested for a carrot cake! Oh My Gucci! :P The thing is, I don't fancy carrot as much as other vege to begin with, and I don't eat carrot cakes! But I know, it's my FIL's favourite and hubby loves it too...


As I googled for the recipe, I got confused. There's too many version and it's always differ from one another. After a series of reading, I decided to combine 3 recipes that I got from the net. Two of them are from Martha Stewart's and Nigella Lawson's...Since I was lazy at that time, I ended up with a recipe that using cups as measurement instead in grams (kes malas nak timbang-timbang, boleh? :P). I was gambling because part of the recipes that I combined was in grams that I changed it to cups by my own instinct/guess. Sesuka hati! :D. I was sooo glad that at the end of the day, it turned out well. Alhamdulilllah. :) Aunt Faridah, Mama's sister who loves it so much ended up ordering the cake for her open house few days later. Because of this, I don't mind sharing the recipe, especially for you Wanny, who been wanting for it. Here it goes...



Oh Oh, before I forget...I actually bake it as a cuppies instead of cake because I was too lazy to deco a big cake. Cuppies are so much easier to deco...especially for someone like me who always tend to mess it up..hahaha!



Carrot Cuppies with Cream Cheese Frosting




Ingredients:

3 eggs
3/4 cups of buttermilk
3/4 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconuts
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup almond flakes 
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp cocoa powder 
1 can crushed pineapple (*I omit this as my husband hate pineapple :P)

For Frosting:

1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 pack (8 once) of cream cheese (softened)
3 cups confectioner's sugar (I used icing sugar)
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract

Deco: 

I used plain white marzipan that I bought in baking store, colored it with food coloring and shape it into carrots. Hihi :) You can also deco it with walnuts or shredded carrots...the main idea is use your creativity ;)



Method:

1.Pre-heat the oven to 350F or 180degrees
2. In a large bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla essence. Mix well.


Lil Chef Naqi, my assistance..
(kan I malas time tu :P)

3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, mixed spice and cocoa powder.
4. Gradually, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
5. Mix together carrots, walnuts, almonds,coconut and pineapple then fold the batter.
6. Pour batter into muffin tins/cuppies cup, about 2/3rd and bake it between 22-25 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.


7. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.


Method for frosting:

1. Cream together the butter and cream cheese until it is completely well combined
2. Gradually add the sugar until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth.
4. Put it inside a piping bag and pipe it onto the cuppies. You can also use a small spatula for this purpose.


Lil Naqi did his own frosting :)


5. Once frosted, decor your cuppies on top with the decor you desire


p.s: Polka cuppies is soooo Nadine! hihi :)

Happy Trying!


Love,

9 comments:

Syazwanny Othman said...

Thank you so much for the recipe... Wow, ada letak flaked coconuts as well... My mom suka ni... hihi...
p/s: twinnies tak kacau akak baking ke?

Nadine said...

Wanny,

Flaked coconuts tu bagi texture besides the nuts. lemak2 rasa mmg best sket. hihi..

hihi, twins tak kacau sebab mommy dah kawtim dgn daddy siap2. mommy boleh buat kek dgn syarat daddy babysit twins dlm bilik. hehehe :D

Nadine said...

eh lupa plak, ur most welcome dear. nanti dah buat roger la akak. hope u like it as much as my family loves it :)

ishamizu said...

Malas2 pon rajin lg buat mini carrots tu as a deco! Hihi..nway, izu pon tak suka carrot cake sbnrnya..tp carrot cuppies cm good idea jgk kan in case tetiba Iris request cuppies and at the same time stok carrot byk lg bley try. Plus resepi guna cup measurement ni mmg i like hee

To chef Naqi, good job dear! :)

Ninie Hanis said...

nice kak nadine,clap2*

tgk pada resepi you i tau sedap sbb ada almonds,walnuts,coconuty sikit.dan yg paling penting,cream cheese tu..sedap!

Syazwanny Othman said...

Hihi... patut tak nampak dua anak dara akak tuuu... abg Faaz dah boleh harap dah... okay kak, nnti dah try, saya roger... Wah, teruja ni!




Sharinginfoz said...

Sedapnya dah lama tak mkn cupcake

Nadine said...

Izu,

hehehe, mini carrots tu nak menaikkan semangat utk buat cuppies tu. :D
a'ah, actually senang je recipe ni, memang healthy and sesuai la nak buat dgn budak. cuma nak menyediakan ingredients tu renyah sket sbb kena parut carrot, kena sangai kelapa..hihi

Nadine said...

Ninie & Sharinginfoz,

Thank you, sudi2la mencuba ye :)