Monday, February 23, 2015

Overnight Rolled Oats

I am a huge fan of oats ever since I started my first confinement in 2009. At that time, I can only tolerate oats with Milo or anything chocolaty but as time passed by, I can enjoy oats in variety ways; either sweet or savory.



Recently, overnight rolled oats has became a hit and I can see a lot of delicious post in Instagram, blogs and even Pinterest. Very tempting!Since I am quite occupied with projects and we have to walk quite a distance for breakfast/lunch in the new office (cause we don't have a cafeteria), I decided to give it a try last week.



This was the first time I ate overnight rolled oats and oh my, I love it! Quite fun actually to eat cold oats for a change! :) and I love the fact that the preparation is so simple and benefit-wise, it's totally healthy! :)




Let me share with you two of my overnight rolled oats recipes;


1. Strawberry Almond Rolled Oats


Ingredients

1 cup of organic rolled oats
1 tbsp chia seed
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sliced bananas
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 cup unsweetened almond milk 
Honey


Method: 

Pour together all the ingredients in a glass container and drizzle some honey to give a sweet taste. Keep it in the refrigerator overnight. I added the slices fruits in the morning because I don't want my fruits to be soggy.

Strawberry tasted good as well with yogurt so you can substitute the almond milk with natural yogurt instead ;)



2. Cinnamon Banana Rolled Oats


Ingredients

1 cup of organic rolled oats
1 tbsp chia seed
1/2 cup sliced bananas
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup of almond milk (I used unsweetened)
Honey


Method: 

Pour together all the ingredients in a glass container and drizzle some honey to give a sweet taste. Keep it in the refrigerator overnight. Nyums!



There are loads of tasty rolled oats recipes that you can try out from the net...all you need to do is just google it! Hihi :) So far I have rolled oats religiously during working days and I love to explore new fruits combination/recipe for rolled oats on each day.



Aside to this,

Some might wonder what is chia seed and what benefit it has?


According to Wikipedia, Chia seed is a species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. The 16th-century Codex Mendoza provides evidence that it was cultivated by the Aztec in pre-Columbian times; economic historians have suggested it was as important as maize as a food crop. 10 top benefits of chia seed are:


  • contains large amount of nutrients with very few calories
  • high in antioxidants
  • almost all the carbs in chia seed are fiber
  • contain decent amount of quality protein
  • can help weight loss
  • high in omega-3 fatty acid
  • lower LDL cholestrol
  • high in many important bone nutrients
  • can cause major improvements in type 2 diabetics
  • can improve exercise performance as much as sports drink



Same goes with almond milk. Some would ask, how is it different from any fresh milk or soy milk?


Well, almond milk is made from ground almonds, and it contains neither cholesterol nor lactose. It is rich in fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, selenium, manganese, zinc, potassium, iron, posphorus, tryptophan, copper and calcium. Among the benefits of almond milk are:


  • helps with weight management
  • keeps your heart healthy (no cholesterol)
  • keep your bones strong
  • keep your skin glow
  • barely impact your blood sugar
  • contribute to muscle strength and healing
  • it doesn't require refrigeration.


And for those of you who are taking powder supplements, (I consume Shaklee's ESP powder), you can add a spoon of it too into your rolled oats. Confirm kenyang sampai petang! :)




Love,

1 comment:

ishamizu said...

Rumah nie tade stock rolled oats lg, selalu ke lupa nak beli. Nanti nak cari Chia seed juga laa hihi. Thanks for sharing dear! :)